Tuesday 24 December 2013

ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS TRIFLE




Merry Christmas gelato lovers!
I’d firstly like to apologise to you, dear reader, for my long unexplained absence. But I've returned!

Since my last post I've been holidaying in India - lurking around the buffets of engagement parties, shopping up a storm in the market places of Delhi, being amazed at the Taj Mahal's beauty and discovering the delightful sweets that India has to offer. More on that in one of my next posts, so stay tuned!


I also blame my lengthy absence on that extremely addictive app called Candy Crush - you know that one everyone invited you to on Facebook ages ago. You just know you're addicted to this app when you have the theme song stuck in your head all day and you start having visions of candy formations over a person's face mid-way through a conversation.




I did plan on making a Christmas-themed gelato, but I was so lazy and naughty and bought a cheap-as-cheap 4L tub of vanilla, so there hasn’t been room in the freezer. I promise I’ll make something for next year’s Christmas.


This Christmas is the first where all my family are overseas and the first one I've spent with my partner, which means it’s time to make new traditions. His Christmas ritual is watching the movie Bad Santa, which I’ve been forced to join in on. And mine is making (and of course, devouring) a trifle for dessert. So our day is sorted! 




RHUBARB & CHAMBORD TRIFLE

Makes about 1 Large Bowl


Ingredients:

Custard
  • 3 Tbsp. custard powder
  • 1-2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 500mL milk 
Whipped Cream
  • 600mL thickened cream
  • 1-2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence 
Others ingredients
  • Fruit - I used a bunch of (home-grown!) rhubarb, cooked in 1/2 cup water and add sugar to taste
  • Jam - I used raspberry
  • Old sponge cake or pannetone or sponge fingers
  • Fruits and nuts for decorations - I used cherries, coconut, pistachios and flaked almonds
  • Optional: Liqueur - traditionally sherry, but I used Chambord Blackberry liqueur

 

Method:
  • Cut the sponge cake into triangles and spreak jam on the top and sides.
  • Layer the bottom of the bowl with the jam-covered sponge
  • Drizzle the liqueur onto the sponge.
  • Make the custard:
    • Put the custard powder & sugar in a saucepan and add a few dashes of milk and whisk.
    • Once combined without lumps, add the milk gradually.
    • Heat until boiling and then reduce heat and simmer for a minute.
    • If you need to thicken the custard, add more powder in a jar or bowl and add a dash of milk and mix together, then gradually add to main mixture.
  • Layer the trifle with rhubarb/fruit, custard, then whipped cream and repeat.
  • Decorate the top with fruit, nuts, shaved chocolate, whatever takes your fancy.
  • Then INDULGE because it's Christmas!


Merry Christmas to you!

Lots of love,
the Gelatosmith
 xoxo




4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, save me a scoop ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! It tasted even better the next day. How about I eat one on your behalf ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, home grown rhubarb, even Nana was impressed!!!
    Looks yummie....
    Could you re-create this as my belated birthday dessert, plssssss.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doris! Sure, I'll make sure I save the rest of the growing rhubarb for you!

      Delete